When actuated, a building's fire alarm system will activate an audible alarm at Department of Public Safety who will respond to all fire trouble and fire alarm incidents.
- Upon arrival at the facility or, during investigation of the alarm condition, the responding Public Safety officer will determine if the Detroit Fire Department should be contacted.
- Any employee, student, visitor, etc., should contact Public Safety at 577-2222 upon discovery of a developing fire in or around WSU facilities.
- Upon actuation of the building fire alarm system, all occupants should immediately evacuate, (including unannounced fire drills).
- It is the responsibility of the Department of Public Safety and/or the Detroit Fire Department to remove mobility impaired persons from areas of refuge within university facilities.
- All evacuating personnel from a WSU facility should exit the facility, and stand well clear of same.
- No person should re-enter a WSU facility until the Department of Public Safety has given permission to do so.
If you discover a fire on your floor:
- Proceed to nearest fire alarm pull station and activate same.
- Call WSU Public Safety at 577-2222.
- If you have been properly trained and/or experienced in the use of a portable fire extinguisher and fire is small, you may proceed to nearest fire extinguisher.
Extinguish fire using PASS Method:
Aim nozzle at base of fire.
Sweep extinguisher side to side.
- If fire is large or cannot be extinguished with portable fire extinguisher, evacuate area and close all doors.
If you are trapped in a room:
- Call WSU Public Safety at 577-2222 and let them know the name of the building and room number of your location.
- Wedge wet towels or cloth materials along the bottom of the door to keep out smoke.
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Be prepared to signal someone outside building via a window.
- DO NOT OPEN WINDOWS OR BREAK GLASS until absolutely necessary. This is a last resort- outside smoke may be drawn into the room.
If you are caught in smoke:
- Drop to hands and knees and crawl towards nearest exit.
- Stay low to floor -- this is where the best quality of air is.
- Breathe shallowly through nose and use a filter such as a shirt or towel.
If you catch on fire:
- Remain calm -- DO NOT RUN.
- Stop where you are.
- Drop to the ground and
- Roll over and over to smother flames.
The Office of Risk Management provides fire extinguisher and evacuation training for all employees.