In the event of a major campus wide outage, WSU has emergency generators that will restore power to critical building systems of some areas of campus. To report a minor localized power outage at a University building (including residence hall and apartment buildings), call WSU Police Department at 577-2222 and WSU Facilities Planning and Management (FP&M) Service Center at 577-4315.
Keep a flashlight and batteries in key locations throughout your work areas.
If a power outage occurs in your building:
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions from responding WSU Police Department and FP&M personnel.
- Turn off electronic equipment and appliances, including sensitive laboratory/research units.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments; turn off all gases; store chemicals in protective locations; open all fume hoods.
- Do not light candles or other types of open flames.
- If instructed to evacuate by WSU Police Department and FP&M personnel, proceed to nearest exit and assist persons with disabilities.
- If you are on an elevator when power outage occurs, remain calm and press the emergency button and/or telephone to alert WSU Police Department.